Iridium Shout Handheld Tracker
The SHOUT is equipped with an LCD and on-screen keyboards supporting transmission of free-text, canned messages or a combination of free-text and canned messages. The device can periodically wake up from sleep to send its position report to a command center. A 911 button is used for immediate emergency/alert notifications. Data are packaged in either standard or 256-bit AES encrypted format.
The SHOUT offers a variety of services including:
- Normal Tracking ? programmed to automatically wake up and send a position report at a set interval ranging from continuous to once every seven days.
- Emergency Alert ? sends alerts to a designated monitoring center using a 911 button. The monitoring center and the user can then communicate to define further specifics of the emergency.
- Free-Text Messaging ? sends free-text via three different sets of on-screen keyboards.
- Canned Text Messaging ? sends canned (pre-defined) messages in short codes to save bandwidth instead of the entire message body.
- Waypoint Tracking ? sends and/or saves waypoints (interested landmarks) for later retrieval.
- Check-In ? allows a quick check-in message to be sent using a single soft key.
The SHOUT is designed with ultra-low power consumption electronics drawing less than 35?A during sleep. With an internal 2.3 A-Hr rechargeable Li-Ion battery, it can send a position report every hour for up to two months (about 1,600 reports).
The Iridium Shout utilises the Iridium satellite network.